Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chug a Lug

So my car has been for sale for the last month because its falling apart and my mechanic said I need to replace the frame (didn't know that was possible). Well I began this journey as a used car salesman with a lot of ambition. I advertised my 2000 Rodeo for sale at $4,800 (I've invested about $5,300). I know it sounds ridiculous to you, but cars are super expensive here. So I was finally approached by a guy who was interested. He showed up and with an air of confidence I began to tell him how well the engine runs and how the A/C is super cold and under my breath I mentioned that I have had to have some work done because of the rust on the frame. Then came the test drive. We get in an he hit the gas like we were at Bowman Gray Race Track. RPM's were running at like 5000 and I was sitting in the back praying for the car to stay in one piece. I guess he really wanted to test her. We stopped at a gas station to turn around and the motor gargled for a minute then cut off. The car honestly hasn't done that to me, at least not in a long time, but I also don't push her that hard. By this point, they were questioning my credibility. They offered me 2,000 for the car I told them I wanted 3,000 and I left with no deal. The next day I was driving it and heard a terrible noise under the car, I took it straight to my mechanic who told me the frame had broken, like in two pieces! The guys called back that day and offered me 2,500, at this point I would take anything. We had a deal but I told them it was at the shop and we would have to meet the next day. My mechanic spent a day welding everything possible and by the time I handed it off, it was driving better than ever. The guys who bought it had gone by the mechanic and were well aware of the rust damage so in the end I felt fine turning the car over to them. The moral of the story is that I am a crappy used car salesman because I have a conscience. I had knots in my stomach for 2 days because I didn't want to screw these guys over, in the end they knew of all the cars problems and I had come down to half of my asking price, I believe it is a win win. Adios Rodrigo/Sasha, the Rodeo!

No comments:

Post a Comment