Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life without A/C



I have now been in Roatan for 5 days or cinco dias. The weather is great but hot and always humid, the people are incredible and the island is beautiful. Amy and I arrived flew in on Saturday and waited about an hour and a half to get through customs. At this point there had been knots in my stomach for days and waiting in a line clueless as to what is next didn't help. Eventually we got to our bags and were greeted by Ms. Nina, her husband and two kids. They helped us load up our 300lbs. of luggage and took us to our apartment. They treated us to some Bojangles on the way. Nothin' like local cooking!
We arrived at our apartments where we met our knew family of teachers. It seems like college all over again, just hotter with more responsibility and a lack of communication skills. I live with Mitch who is from Kansas and will be teaching 3rd grade. Our apartment is on the second story of an unfinished building on a single hallway where all of the other American teachers are out neighbors. Everybody is very nice, we are able to leave out doors open to the hall and visit from room to room. The new culture is definitely taking some getting used to, especially the language barrier. I am already learning some Spanish and am for the first time in my life enjoying learning it. We have explored about a mile in each direction of our new home where we have discovered some pieces of the beautiful coast, eating pork cooked by kids standing on the street, many local street vendors and the cell phone store.
The school is great, we are going through orientation for the next week but I am already getting a chance to meet kids and get schooled by five year olds in soccer. I love it. All of the equipment which has blown the students away who keep coming up and saying, "ayudo" "can I help". I have been doing nothing but pumping up balls for the past two days. The teachers and other faculty I have met are incredible and I look forward to serving the lord along side of them. I feel like I have been taken into a new family. It is a beautiful thing. God is here and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
I don't have my camera chord with me so I will upload some pictures later. Thanks for reading, have an awesome day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome Harry! I'm so pumped to hear the update. People have been asking about you left and right. I'm glad you made it there safely and that God is throwing you right into it. Much love!

    ReplyDelete