Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Burdened for the Deceived

I served food tonight at the homeless shelter with an Indian woman. I had never met this woman but felt compelled to carry a conversation with her. I asked her about her life, her family, her work, why she served, if she went to a church and I shared my life with her in the process. As I spoke to her about God leading me to Honduras and calling me to serve those in need, she nodded her head with understanding but was visibly uncomfortable. I discovered she was Hindu after telling her about my best friend who is currently on his way to India as a missionary. She was not offended but she also didn't stick around for long after the food was served. Her reason for serving was because she felt good afterward, she felt like she needed to help. We all have something built into us that needs to serve. We were created in God's image and fashioned according to His will. He became the greatest servant to ever live so obviously we are going to feel good when we serve. It's what we were built to do! Our generation of 20 somethings and younger have been led astray by the biggest lie ever told, "it's all about me." We are consumed by materialism and temporary fulfillment. Even in the church, we often only participate if it works for us. We need to step it up and create a challenge. Our generation is too comfortable and content. The world around us is as dark as it has ever been but we are too focused on our video games, sports, clothes, car, job, or even growing our ministry that we miss what's right in front of us. Jesus say's "Love your neighbor." Start there, serve someone where you are. I guarantee you no matter where you live and what you do there is someone who has a need, try simply listening. You will be rewarded, there is a piece of you that is crying out to serve someone. Go out and find a challenge, do not settle for what this world has to give. Take hold of what God has for you.

As I left the shelter tonight, I felt God say that His heart breaks for the deceived. We must boldly share His message, but you may need to earn the right to be heard first.

No comments:

Post a Comment