Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Cost of Discipleship

"For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like those condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to human beings. We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment."
- Apostle Paul
1 Corinthians 4: 9 - 13

The Apostles gave everything up for the Lord. They laid the foundation of the church which we stand on today. I am forever grateful for those who suffered and bled for Christ and for me. Without them and their choice to obey God, I may not have heard the beautiful message of salvation which so compels my life today. I read this scripture this afternoon and was once again challenged to stand up and do something with my life. We are not called to settle for comfort and Jesus never promised ease. We are called to lay it all down and follow Him no matter what the cost. I asked myself today, "what is my faith costing me?" Ask yourself the same.

"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me"
- Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment