Friday, January 7, 2011

My Heart

"Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through Him" -Colossians 3:17

I have had a hard time teaching this year because my heart has not been in the work I am doing at the school. I have not put any time into planning my classes and I have done all other preparations last minute. Last year the Lord spoke clearly to me that I was meant to stay on the island but I felt like I had the option to teach or not. I decided to come back to the school because it made sense and it was safe, not necessarily because I really wanted to come back and teach PE. Luckily I haven't put the kids at to much of a disadvantage because of my lack of effort (its not hard to get kids to play games). My passion is not PE or coaching soccer, but over Christmas, the Lord reminded me that this is the responsibility I have chosen and it is an honor to serve Him here. It is a beautiful mission field that I come to everyday. I encounter over 160 kids and teenagers everyday who are in need of Gods awesome touch. I am here to teach PE in the name of the Lord. I love the work I am able to do in the community here, with our mentoring program to street kids and with the home build but my first priority is to love the kids who are right in front of me 7 hours a day! My heart aches for the lost on this island, in the drug infested streets, in this upper class school, in the resorts, at the cruise ship docks and for those who have been shoved in the dirt with no hope. Its easy for me to get caught up in doing things and taking care of peoples physical needs, but the Lord is continually reminding me that its the heart that needs the most work. My Fiance (!!!) reminds me of this often as I am able to watch and hear about her loving the kids around her. She works at an orphange here on the island and is seeing breakthrough with multiple children who have undergone unimaginable abuse physically, mentally and spiritually. These kids have a roof over their heads, food, toys, and safety and some of them have had that for years at the orphanage but they have not undergone healing and restoration of the heart. The Lord has given Kendall an opportunity to listen, love and watch his spirit heal these kids. She is a reminder to me that I must slow down and look at the person right in front of me. We all have places in our lives that need Gods touch and we should be honored to reach out as his hands. My heart is to Love God and Love people! I am refreshed after Christmas break and going into this new year excited about PE, excited about Soccer, excited about the kids in the street, and excited about the ways God is moving in all of these places. I pray that God will open my heart and yours to see the world around us the way that He does, Amen!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters" -colossians 3:23

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Very thought provoking, we're so encouraged to hear what you guys are doing there.

    And we have a little $$ with your name on it for your fundraising project, once we get our Feb 1 paycheck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying that God gives you discernment. Glad to see you're engaged to Kendall!

    ReplyDelete