Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baby Kendall

I have been so honored and blessed this weekend by the people I came here to serve. I realize that I have not been brought here to fix them. I have been brought here to know them, to love them and to do life with them. I was invited to the public school 6th grade graduation on Friday ( I work in a private school). Two of the kids I work with outside of school (Mephi and Tommy) were getting their diploma's. After tutoring on Thursday, the other teachers and I were able to take Memphi and to the mall and buy his white shirt and black shoes he needed for his graduation. It was a really sweet time to share with him how proud we are and to encourage him to continue working hard (Erin and Amber did an amazing job with this). He is an incredible kid and very smart but he has almost zero positive influences in his community and at home. When Kendall and I got to the graduation Friday night I was handed a stack of diplomas and told that I would be sitting in front on stage handing out diplomas to students. So I tucked my shirt in and recited the names with my best Spanish Accent while Kendall entertained the baby's that were handed to her. It was an incredible honor to get to hand Memphi his diploma and stand up front with him. After the ceremony, they gave Kendall and I a box of food and we were on our way. The next night I was invited to Pablo's mama's baby shower (my first and most likely last). Kendall and I showed up on time at 7 and left at 8:30 before it had really started (island time). We talked, held baby's, joked and told stories about the kids I know from their community. It was awesome to be included and welcomed in by the people whose kids I spend a lot of time with. So today I got a call at about 12 o'clock from Pablo (13 year old boy from French Harbour). He called to say his mom had gone to the hospital and is having the baby today. I hung out with Gus and Daniel, two 17 year old boys from French Harbour, who were at my house after church. We ate hot dogs, talked for a bit then headed to the hospital. As I stood there holding a 10 minute old baby, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by how beautiful this child is and how much God loves him. This family lives in a very dark place, the husband just got out of jail 2 weeks ago, they are surrounded by drugs, sex and violence, and there isn't much change on the horizon but this child is pure and beautiful. He is a blessing. It was awesome to see the husband, Santos, staring at his baby boy with so much joy and gentleness. I was able to pray with the father and the new baby before I left and truly loved that moment. That Child is the Lords and I am excited to see the way he blesses their family. In the time I have gotten to know this family and continually pour in to Pablo I have seen a change in the kids and the parents. He is slowly learning to respect others and to simply believe in himself while the parents are taking more of an interest in their kids and in what we are doing. God wants us to look at people for who they are not for who we want to make them. This is something he is teaching me right now and the embrace of this community has reassured that over and over this weekend. I am so thankful for these opportunities that God has literally brought to my door. The baby´s name is Kendall!

No comments:

Post a Comment